Friday, August 3, 2012

Still Green

I feel ambiguous. If I had to guess, I'd say my vitamin D levels have yet to be restored to normal. As a result I continue to feel that all is right with my world when the sun is shining and I am in it. However, when the weather is gloomy, I am so low. I am beginning to wonder if something else is amiss with my health. Taking my vitamins regularly would probably be a good place to start. I did go see my hollistic doctor earlier this summer for the first time in a few years. We discovered that I do have an iodine defficiency, so I'm taking kelp now. That I'm still feeling so conflicted and temperamental about life during the sunniest and warmest time of the year, has me slightly concerned about entering another long winter. I remind myself that I still have all of August and September to bare my skin to the sun during the warmest hours of the day.

It is still green out, thankfully. The last couple months have been socially busy for us with play groups, soccer practice and games and farm visits. I mistakenly was thinking that we'd get some slower weeks before the hectic harvest time, but instead I think our summer days are more like a wet snowball rolling down a hill; we are only gaining in momentum. This weekend I am showing goats for the first time. I think it will be entertaining for those watching, as I haven't been handling and setting up my goats at all, oh, then there is my biter, who turns and tries to bite me when she is nervous or scared. I wasn't going to show her, but I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep her and she is one of my nicest does....

We have a special trip that we've been planning for months now. We are going to a friend's wedding. It is going to be a reunion of sorts, with long time friends coming from all around. I pulled out my due date calculator and realized that I've got a doe due the week before and another one due the week after our planned condo rented weekend vacation. I have soooo much help scheduled to come up and help and keep an eye on the goats. I have a guilty conscious.  I may end up staying. Only time will tell.

The garden is providing. Tonight we had greens soup and fresh pea, onion, zucchini, carrot stir fry. All the vegetables were from the garden. The cream in the soup was courtesy of our outside ladies, and the croutons were from bread made with local wheat. The butter was from far away. We grilled a turkey last week and have been eating from it since. Lots of more than local meals. Meals that come exclusively from our land, with the exception of grain, spices, salt and oils.

One of the few things I've really been excited about lately is planning our homeschooling year. I absolutely love our Christopherus Waldorf curriculum. This year Noah and I are learning to play the pentatonic flute together. We will also be working with wool, spinning and knitting together. I recently ordered several children music cd's, for the first time ever. I have been loving the beautiful folk songs that we've been learning. I also ordered some new story books and fairy tale compilations, along with some quality beeswax crayons and colored pencils. I was reading through our curriculum the other day, and the author was writing about what is most importance of spending time outside, helping in the kitchen, growing and harvesting a garden, and spending time around animals and farms etc. And I thought, CHECK! Got that base covered!

I am resolving once more to begin waking up and accomplishing farm chores before my children wake. I know you've heard this before. I indulged in some late summer nights and have been relishing the warm mornings which make chores with the kids oh so much more easier. However, together it does take us till lunch to finish up. I REALLY want to spend our mornings together, where I'm focused on the kids and doing things together, instead of feeling like I'm dragging them from one chore to the next. It sounds to good to be true, but I'm envisioning a morning where we have breakfast and then either do yoga together or practice our flutes, then go on to do our main lesson of the day, all before I start to do house chores and fix lunch.

I promise some informative goat posts in the near future. Almost time to start planning for fall breeding. When I'm a couple months out from breeding I'm going to start putting one cup of apple cider vinegar per five gallons of water ( I think that is the right ration) Into my does water. Call it an experiment, can you guess why?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with your experiment! I know what you are doing, but I'll see if someone else can guess. :) I'm doing the same thing here.

Are your girls in heat yet? Mine are driving me CRAZY! We've bred three already this summer, and today Hollywood came into heat, which bummed me a bit. I'm waiting to breed her until January so her udder won't be so stale for the August show next year. She will have to suffer through several more heats between now and then.

Your garden makes me jealous. We didn't plant this year for about 645 reasons - lol! Part of me is relieved.

off grid mama said...

You're having mastitis or yeast problems? Possibly boosting production? Usually used as an immune booster. And could be for other reasons. ACV has a plethora of uses!

Tonya Gunn said...

My guess is you probably don't consume a lot already - but I found nearly eliminating sugar from my diet made me so much more even in my moods and outlook.
I am not sure what the apple cider vinegar would be for.....
We are still looking for a buck for your girls to get them bred this fall.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh dear Emily I do hope you start feeling like the old Emily again. It is tough sometimes when you start thinking of the future and all you can see is snow and cold. Take care enjoy the wedding and all those special times with your incredible children. Stay well Emily. Hug B

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Emily, wishing you all the best for the up coming show, fingers crossed.

Please do take some pictures to share with us all.....