Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blueberries and a foundation

I wrote the following post over a week ago and never got around to finishing it. There have been so many exciting things going on around here (like a new framed out addition), that this post already seems outdated. The pace has slowed down around here (for a few days), so I'll try and get around to a more current post showing all the festivities and building that went on around here this past weekend. For now:

Blueberries and a foundation have nothing in common other than that we processed blueberries all last week and put in the foundation for the house extension. Two weeks ago we went on our first family blueberry picking outing of the summer. It was unusually hot and humid. Not a lot of shade or breeze. We reached our spot about one p.m. with blankets, toys, food etc. This particular spot is not a long drive from town and each year and is becoming too popular. I've been picking there for ten years. This year the berry bushes were picked over before they were hardly ripe. Usually if one spot is picked over we just keep walking and looking for a better spot. That is easier said than done with small kids in tow. We came home with close to sixteen cups of berries. Not as much as we were hoping for but it was a start. A week later Dustin took Noah out for a camping trip with the grandparents. Dustin stayed to pick berries for an hour or so and came home with three gallon bags full! Some help from my dad I believe. Each bag contained about five pounds of berries. Below is a picture of Noah helping clean the leaves and twigs out of the berries.

I made three batches of blueberry jam and put the rest of the berries in the freezer. We figure that we picked close to twenty pounds in all. Never enough. I ended up buying nine more pounds of blueberries at the Farmer's Market last week. I am going to make a big batch of blueberry syrup any day now.
Headed up for morning chores. Note the huge wood pile in the background!
While the guys were putting in the concrete Sono tubes for the foundation Noah sat entranced for hours watching. He had a great view from his perch on the front porch. We rented a post hole digger for the Skid Steer and spent the morning digging twelve holes. The guys were just getting the Sono tubes in place and putting handles on the new wheel barrows when the concrete truck pulled up. It was a bit hectic to say the least. By the end of the day we had a foundation.

No comments: