Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Golden Days Parade

Here are a few pictures of our local Golden Days Parade that took place this past Saturday. I was unaware until now that this is the largest parade in the state of Alaska. It begin at ten a.m. and lasted about an hour and a half. The parade consisted of the usual: antique cars and tractors, kids sports teams, karate schools, fire trucks -(Noah's favorite), religious organizations, local businesses and  lots of politicians, Lisa Murkowski (State Senator) and Sean Parnell (Governor), to name a couple.

The day started out rainy and D had to work, so it was not without perseverance that I dragged the kids  along behind me through the mud, for milking and the fewest farm chores I could get away with so that we could make it to town in time for the parade. The best part of the experience for me was our location. This year I drove to a friend's house and parked my truck. From there is was only two blocks to this street which was near the start of the parade. We were situated on a green grassy strip not thirty feet from the Chena River, and if that was not enough, my friend had the forethought to set up his tent in case we got too wet. However, lucky for us the rain ceased as the parade began, and the weather cleared up as the morning progressed.







I get a little sentimental thinking about the traditions we are starting as a young family. I'm not much of a fan of parades or fireworks, and I wasn't keen on Noah gleaning several handfuls of candy...but I sure remember being excited about parades (candy), and fireworks when I was a kid. So I guess that is what it is all about, wanting to share some of my childhood memories or rather create similar ones for the kids.

1 comment:

Tonya Gunn said...

this is funny because I have become a bit of a scrooge about parades too, mostly because of the candy, but the children just love them:)